By: Charlene Lipka, President of the Friends of the Library
For: Red Rock News
Date: May 14, 2010
Friends of the Library Extends Support Through Book Festival
In 1964, a group of Sedonans chose to become special friends to the library that had opened in 1958. At that time, the City of Sedona had not yet been incorporated. Sedona Public Library was an entirely volunteer effort, and all funding was through donations. The Friends of the Sedona Library (FOL) Inc. was incorporated in 1967 with the mission of providing funds, support and materials for the growing needs of our Library users. It is a separate non-profit corporation from Sedona Public Library.
Today FOL has a membership of 285 families and individuals and a hard-working and fun-loving board: Charlene Lipka, president; Leigh Shafer, 1st vice president; Mary Snyder, 2nd vice president; Donna Hawk, treasurer; SanDee Kinnen, Jawn McKinley, Anne Smith and Ellen White. Members of FOL get a quarterly newsletter, a punch card good for 10 overdue fines of up to $1 each, admission to the preview nights of the book sales and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re supporting a community treasure.
Since its inception, FOL has raised funds primarily through book sales and the Festival of the Wreaths. This year, we’re joining the Well Red Coyote and Yavapai College (Sedona Campus) to present the second Sedona Book Festival on October 1 and 2. Events will be at Yavapai College (Sedona Campus) and Sedona Public Library. Workshops, author talks and a Friday night dinner in the stacks at the Library are planned. Watch for details in the coming weeks.
After a one-year break, the Festival of Wreaths returns this November. A new feature is ornaments decorated by local artists invited to participate. The People’s Choice Awards gives visitors to the Library an opportunity to vote for their favorite creation in four categories: Best of Show, Best Creative Use of Materials, Best Christmas and Best Non-Traditional. Key dates to keep in mind are:
- Friday, November 12: Wreath take-in from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Library and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sedona Winds in the Village.
- Sunday, November 14: Preview Gala and Sale at the Library from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., including wine, appetizers, cake, musical entertainment and raffles.
- Monday, November 15: Sale to the public begins during regular Library hours.
- Tuesday, November 30: Winners of People’s Choice Awards announced.
Among the most popular activities at Sedona Public Library are our semiannual book sales. They always draw large crowds, including out-of-staters who schedule visits to coincide with our sales. In addition to book sales at the Library, FOL sells books online through Amazon and eBay.
Items offered through these sales come from the existing Library collection that’s always being refreshed and from donations. Members of the Sedona community are extremely generous, and we also receive donations from patrons and friends who live outside the local community and state. If you’re moving to or from the Sedona/Verde Valley area, we’ll pick up collections you want to donate. Call the Book Sale Committee at 282-7714 or visit the Library to provide details of a special collection you’d like to donate.
Books can be donated during regular Library hours at the Circulation Desk. Just ask, and a volunteer will assist you. All donations are tax deductible. We’re unable to assign a dollar value, but we will give you a receipt.
Here are the dates for our remaining book sales this year:
- June Book Sale to Benefit SPL In the Village (Training Room, Village Fire Station)
- 3: Preview Night, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Open to FOL members, invited guests and Library volunteers.
- 4 – 6: Open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Village Fire Station is at the corner of Slide Rock Road and W. Cortez, next to the U.S. Post Office.
- August Mini Book Sale
- 9 – 14: Theme to be determined.
- October Book Sale
- 15: Preview Night, 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Open to FOL members, invited guests and Library volunteers.
- 16 – 24: Fall Book Sale. Open to the public during regular Library hours and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays Oct. 17 & 24.
- December Mini Book Sale
- 6 – 11: Gift, Holiday and Kids books.
- Ongoing Hard-Cover Book Sale
- Available during regular Library Hours in the foyer outside the Si Birch Community Room, this collection of new or nearly new books is organized by category in alphabetical order. Prices range from $3 - $8 with most at $5 and are a real value for patrons who want to own hard-cover books. Other books are for sale at all times, including the paperback rack in the foyer.
Proceeds from the book sales are a vital part of the annual FOL contribution to the Library’s budget. FOL also funds special projects, including the Children’s Summer Reading Program and the Arizona Humanities Council programs presented at Sedona Winds in the Village of Oak Creek.
You can help the Sedona Public Library maintain its legacy and present level of excellence by becoming a Friend for as little as $15 a year. Pick up a membership brochure at the Library or at SPL In the Village, or go to the Library’s web site at sedonalibrary.org, click on Friends of the Library in the list on the left and select How to Join.
Charlene Lipka, author of this week's article,
is President of the Friends of the Sedona Library, Inc.
Library News appears each Friday in the Red Rock News
and is also presented on: Gateway to Sedona and Sedona Biz.